My grandpa passed away today. We've known it was coming, and I know my Granny has been waiting for him. And Pug.
I haven't been a good granddaughter - I was really bad at letter writing and keeping him informed about our lives. We didn't make it down there this summer to see him as I had hoped. He hasn't seen my kids (my son was named after him) in over 3 years.
But, my life is a tribute to him and my Granny. Every summer we got to spend a week with them - on our own. I loved that time with them all by myself. My grandpa was old and crotchety, and he always left me a little intimidated, but he was amazing.
So much of who I am I truly believes comes from who they are. Are. Present tense. They are still alive through all of their decendents.
First - my dad.
I have always admired my father. He has an amazing work ethic and dedication to his family. I attributed his work ethic to his being raised on a chicken ranch. He also taught me about creativity. Getting out of working on that ranch by creating camping events - one of the 2 allowed reasons. His stories of Granny always made us laugh.
Second - my life
When I was in college I happened to be close to where my Grandpa grew up and my Granny sent me an annoucement to a family reunion. I went, and realized that it was everyone from my Grandpa's generation. I learned some amazing things about my Grandpa that day. I learned more about the boy who had become the man.
Recently we started raising chickens - I had to send pictures of them to my Grandpa. I showed him pictures of our garden. Of us fishing. Of our rabbits.
So many of these things I was first introduced to because of my Grandparents - and I found I loved them.
I truly believe that it's because of the time with my grandparents that I learned that I loved the country life.
My granny introduced me to baking. Sewing. At least I'm good at baking. ;)
My grandpa introduced me to fresh veggies from the garden. To a pit bull who thought she was a lap dog. To fishing. I made sure he knew I learned how to gut that fish!
And more than anything, they taught me about love and devotion. That love has many different faces. That if just one person believes and knows you - then life is good. That what matters most at the end of the day is that you have learned how to love and care more for another than for yourself. And that it looks different to each relationship that we have.
So what is this all for?
Live your life so that it has meaning.
My grandpa was no angel on earth. He had struggles - like we all do. Learn to recognize the good in all of those around you. Each and every person has something wonderful they can teach you - if you are willing to learn.
Learn.
Thursday, November 27, 2008
One more angel in Heaven
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank you for this wonderful post.
Post a Comment