I've got the house to myself for a few days while the kids are at their dad's and Rob's out at his folks house helping a friend by being a Carnie.
Not knowing what to do with myself, I rearranged the living room. And turned the TV on. Do you realize how FEW things there on during the day?
Not wanting to watch Maury, Springer or a Soap Opera I found My Super Sweet 16 on MTV. Now, I normally get a kick out of Bridezilla's, etc as I laugh at how outrageous and bratty these women are. But this time, I was shocked and appalled.
It was the recap of the 4th season, so it was almost a mini-marathon with 30 minute recaps of each girl while ALL the girls sat and watched and talked about it.
Now, a couple of kids were daughters of celebrities. But MOST of them were just your average, every day kid. But SPOILED ROTTEN.
One girl had a THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND dollar budget. Can you imagine? This was just for the party. One girl was flown to Paris to shop for ONE day to find her dream dress. Another spent 8K on her dress, after she was flown to LA to shop.
I watched after girl after girl pouted, whined, bragged, and treated her parents like crap expecting everything.
They had parties bigger than Prom with hundreds of guests. One girl even handed out invitations to random people at a beach. Why? Because her friends weren't there and she wanted a "Fly" party.
Then, there were the presents. A twenty thousand dollar watch, diamonds, CARS. Not just a car. But a 1 of a kind 6-door hummer with a hundred and twenty dollar price tag - that she never drives. Every single girl got a BRAND new expensive car. One girl was having a 15th birthday and she got a car to sit and wait for her to turn 16.
The overall attitude of each girl. "I want this to be the best party ever. Everyone is going to want to be me."
I have two questions:
1) Why in the world are the parents spending that kind of money on a PARTY for a teenager? Can you even imagine what the wedding is going to be like? These girls had no concept of value. It was "I want what I want and price isn't a factor." And the parents CAVED. They fed into it. I saw ONE mother who actually called her daughter on her attitude, but didn't do anything about it.
2) Why in the world are we glorifying spoiled, bratty behavior? If I ever allowed my daughter to watch these shows, it would be to point out how ridiculous they are. It's so unrealistic of a lifestyle. But it glorifies the materialistic attitude.
At least SOME parents realize they've screwed up by the next show, Exiled. It is former "Sweet 16" girls who are being sent to see how rough and down to earth people in other countries live. Although, I hope some are being sent to some more middle-class, every day people instead of just the wilds of Africa. Because for most kids, that's as unrealistic as these elaborate parties.
Friday, August 22, 2008
Absolutely Appalled
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have seen those shows before and I don't know who these people are that can afford all this stuff. Are there really that many filthy rich people out there???
Post a Comment