Sunday, September 28, 2008

Twilight - I don't get it


I finally read "Twilight" since it's the book selection for book club. While I think it's a cute story, and Stephenie Meyer is a good author, I just DON'T get the hype? Really. It's a sappy teen romance with sappy teenagers who I want to smack around.

To Edward: You're over 100 years old - you should be a TAD bit more mature than a standard 17 year old. And bit a tad less selfish - either leave or bite her already.

To Bella: Quit being such a martyr. You took care of your mom. You took care of Charlie, for what, a week or two? You're trying to baby and nurture Edward. Just because you have NO coordination doesn't mean you're not good at anything. Quit moping.


This book reminds me why I hated High School the first time around. The petty kids. The rumors. The cliques. Bah.

I can understand why teenagers would like this, but would SOMEONE explain to me what the big deal is for all the adults?

8 comments:

Tyler Jorgenson said...

So funny. Tanya feels the same way. Ok books, but doesn't get the hype.

The Prices said...

I think that it is all about what you read into the charatcers. Your explanations are NOTHING like how I saw them.

I think that the draw is that most women can see themselves in Bella. I know I can. Always putting others needs before her own.(HELLO--Motherhood!!!) I think of her as a selfless, good person that doesn't understand her own self worth. Always seeing the things that we are the worst at and overlooking our good qualities. Haven't we all felt that way before--or even still??

As far as Edward being drawn to her--can also relate--being drawn to something that you shouldn't and not having the strength to pull yourself away. If you read carefully (and especially if you read the other books) you find that when the vampires fall in love they "change" permanently and so there is no way to "get over" that love and move on or even love another. Which is also something that people connect to. Everyone wants to be loved endlessly, without bounds...where they are the whole world to their lover. At least most people do. And to know how much he loves her is what makes all these crazy women (me included) fall in love with him. It is also how pure and sweet he is with her. Just him touching her face so sweetly reminds you of how pure love can be without the overt physicality that gets drawn into it lots of the time. The fact that he won't change her goes to show how much he loves her...he doesn't want to take away her precious human life(even though he would be able to be with her forever if he changed her). He doesn't want her to be the monster that he thinks he is. In this way he is selfless--he is willing to put what would make his existence easier to the side in order to protect her from what he thinks is a fate worse than death.

Anyway, there is the best explanation that my none eloquent mind can give you. I am a simple person--although I love the "classics" sometimes the emotions get so wrapped up in the verbage that the moment passes me by with out full comprehension of the feeling. These books connect because they were written for teenagers--they are written in a way that you can "feel" the emotions and the love without having to "overthink"--That is why I loved them--I just sat back and ENJOYED a beautiful love story without having to decipher the emotion.

One more thing, as far as the high school thing goes. I liked that it was set in high school because although we hate to admit it...that is how the world is. There are always cliques. Petty people. Rumors. There are always people that are laughing secretly while you are falling but act nice to your face. But there are always good poeple too--just like in this story. I think that is the point. Even though these vampires are 100+ years old they still deal with the same human personality issues that teenagers deal with.

Okay--I am stopping. Bottom line. Everyone doesn't have to love it...but I DO!! And luckily lots of people agree with me!!;) (sorry for the long comment!)

The Prices said...

Okay, I just reread my comment and I hope you know that I didn't mean to be sharp or rude! I meant it more as passion of my love for the book. Tone is always hard to convey in text!! And I love you even if you don't agree with me!! HEHEHE!!:)

Teri Le said...

LOL Sunny, I didn't take it as rude at all. I REALLY wanted to understand the hype and what others got out of it. THANKS!

erinannie said...

I had to force myself to finish the first book, and never read the rest. I agree with you completely about Bella. The books did nothing for me.

Denise said...

Um...Edward is hot. Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

Kari said...

I'm right there with you, Girlfriend! I don't get the hype either. But admittedly, I wasn't as stalwart as you, I quit reading about 2/3 the way through the book.

CarrieAnne said...

It's the closest to a "sex" book Mormons get to read. Duh. ;-)

Really, it's cotton candy for the brain. that's why I liked them. But I was annoyed with the last book. I could go on with that one....but I won't.

There were things I loved and hated about the books.

One of the things I loved is that her story was unique and interesting. I liked that it wasn't smutty or had swear words in it. It IS very reminiscent of Jr. High and High School, but that doesn't bother me. I like reading young adult fiction.

Maybe I'm just never going to grow up?

Or I'm clinging desperately to my youth?

I liked it for the same reasons The Prices did. I agree with her. I also can see the things that are annoying. I think the story is good, but her writing could be a lot better.