Sunday, February 11, 2007

I, Robot

This movie was not at all what I expected. Watched it last night with Rob, and I really enjoyed it. If you haven't seen it, I'm going to put some spoilers - so don't read any more. Here, I'll even wait to continue until you've passed by....




Ok, so - the premise is that in the future Robots help with all the tedious labor (laundry anyone?) and are governed by three laws. No matter what, they can not disobey these laws as part of their programing. They are designed specifically for the benefit of humans, and must do all they can to protect them. However, the master mainframe computer "evolves" and is now able to break the laws and feels that her main purpose is to protect humans from themselves, even at the occassional loss of life. If you want to understand what I'm saying here in this very broken summary, rent the movie yourself. ;)

Anyway - while watching this movie I was amazed at the spiritualness that sneaks into some movies. After all, Satan's plan was to make us all do the right thing, no agency. Lots of similarities, and I found it intriguing.

So, my question of the week - what other movies have you found a spiritual or moral side where you didn't expect it?

No comments: