ok. We know I'm nuts. But help me think through this job thing...
My big concern with trying to find a new job is working the typical Mon-Fri 8:30 - 5:30, 40+ hour a week with commute thing. I want to be more involved w/ the kids' school and around them more. PLUS, I got that adjunct faculty gig where I can start teaching a night or two a week here soon. (Faculty meeting next week, orientation after that).
So, if I get a typical job, I'll be going nuts, with time, and never see the kids, right? NOT what I want to do.
Now, an opportunity came up. A very well established company that sells texts, etc to schools. They've been in business for years, but haven't had a presence in this area. I've talked to the owner of the company and several reps - the income potential is really good - even the first year, AND it's school schedule. Meaning, I can make more than I was making at my last job working 10 mos a year.
Downsides:
* Commission only - but they will offer a weekly draw against future commissions to help me get established
* I'd be an independant-contractor, meaning having to cover all my own taxes and expenses
* No insurance (didn't have any at my last job either - to expensive) But, with Pete not paying for his child support and the lower income, I could qualify for state insurance for me and the kids.
Pros:
* Flexible schedule
* Don't have to sit on my butt in front of a computer everyday, all day
* Networking within schools for future employment
* I get to be my own boss, do a lot of the paperwork, etc from home
* I don't have to try to get approval to get time off if I have an interview, kids field-trip or school event, etc
* Good income potential, I mean - REALLY good. The first year alone I can make more than I was.
* Allows me to pursue the education that I want, and the flexibility to study, etc
They have a training in Vegas in October. I'd go for two days. They pay everything except 1/2 of the airfare. Food, hotel, etc. They have a LOT of trainings in place, and they pay for it all - to have either a rep come here to me, or for me to go and shadow another rep. So, I know they aren't just going to pump me up and let me fail.
So - am I totally crazy to want to do this????
Thursday, September 20, 2007
How Crazy Am I?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Is there any type of commitment? Like a year or 2? If not, I say that you might as well try it and see how it works out. It might just be an answer to prayers.
Nope - no commitment!
Thanks for all your thoughts, Sunny!
For me, yes, that would be insane. Sales is pretty much my nightmare job, and commission makes me nervous because I'm a give-me-security kinda gal. BUT...huge but...if you enjoy sales, you believe in the product, and you feel like it's the right job, then no, it's not crazy. It could be a good opportunity.
I hope something works out for you soon, TL!
You are asking that question when you can look at your blog title for the answer! LOL
I got my willlowtree in the mail. I love it so much! Thank you!
Post a Comment